Monday, September 15, 2014

Doctor Update

I had an appointment with my endocrinologist this last week. For the last 10+ years I have seen him, I have given up on controlling my blood sugars and doing everything "right" For many of those years I'd bring my meter, which was useless, because there was nothing on it for them to download. We had to take some extreme measures to keep things under some sort of control. My A1C  (<- Please click the link to learn what an A1C is) use to be in the high 8's and possibly a 9 in there at one point. (to sum that up... NOT good!!) While we were planning the wedding, Josh and I obviously knew we wanted to start a family, I had to do a lot of work on my end to make sure everything could be as good as possible. I asked my Dr what I needed to do to prepare for this next step. He said, DO YOUR BLOODS, and keep them low the lower the better.
Ok. Step 1 was handed out to me on a silver platter, I just had to do what I knew what was right. I tried my best to get on a schedule of some sorts and do my bloods. I was doing pretty good with them, especially during the week, when I had some normality to my time frames and food. My appointment back with him was better, my A1C came down to the mid 7's. This is right before we left for our honeymoon.
Coming back from our honeymoon I had to call him to say "I believe I'm pregnant". I had blood paper to go take care of before my appointment with him got moved up from its original date. I got to the office and was sitting in the room waiting for him to come in. He's a very boisterous talker and I could hear him a few rooms away with someone else. He busted into my room to grab an instrument that he needed, while doing so he starts laughing at me then says "You really can behave when you want to".
Yes, that's true, I know how to take care of myself, I just didn't want to deal with it anymore. I had to deal with it and apparently was doing a decent job.Little did I know how well of a job.
He finally came in to see me and my A1C was 6.3. Pretty darn great! I was so excited! I was also having some MAJOR low blood sugars in the late afternoon that needed to be fixed.
Thankfully Josh has finally learned the signs of a low blood sugar from me. To sum it up, I act like a needy 5-year old and I speak verrrrrrry slowly.
We adjusted my basal rate quite dramatically, I was honestly worried we were going to make it rebound the other way around and I would shoot up high in mid-afternoon. I kept a close eye on that time of day and kept everything tightly knit.
Flash forward to my appointment a few weeks ago. I knew I was doing good with my bloods, still had a few low sugars,  but nothing quite dramatic. He walked in and again started laughing at me. My A1C was 5.7!!!!! Seriously?!?!?! That was awesome, that was the bomb-diggity! He was so pleased and stated that I brought down my A1C using LESS insulin! He was shocked by that. He also said that I'm controlling my bloods better than most diabetic (and pregnant diabetics) on a continuous glucose monitor. (Side note: I have a CGM but it's "old" and the sites for it have been discontinued, we tried to get a new one but $$$$ later, I decided to go at it on my own-which apparently is working).
We adjusted my basal rate again because there are still some issues in the mid afternoon time frame. If you look at my blood meter download that he gets (its a graph) from 7AM-12PM my bloods stay in a steady line, once 3PM rolls around it starts spiking and/or dropping then will plateau back out around bedtime 9PM.
I have another appointment in 6 weeks. I'm hoping to keep up all the good work I've done. So far my bloods have been behaving and I just need to stay on this path.

**If this is mumbo-jumbo to you, I apologize. This particular post is more for any curious people, and for me to document.

No comments:

Post a Comment