Monday, March 24, 2014

What's in a Name?

This post is my own opinion. I am no way bashing anyone for whatever works for you and your families.

Why did woman just start taking the man's last name, no questions asked? No looking back?

I understand this was the norm hundreds of years ago for many logical reason. News flash, we are in the 21st century now.

It goes back to an anecdote I heard years ago. The mom is in the kitchen preparing a ham for Christmas, the little son asked her, "why do you cut the ends off on both sides on the ham?"
She said, "I don't know, my mom did that."
Little boy goes and finds grandam, "why did you cut the ends off on both sides on the ham?"
She ponders and responded, "you know I'm not sure. That's the way my mom did it."
Luckily the great-grandmother was still alive, the little boy goes to ask her. Her response: "because the oven was too small of the ham she bought."

Simple solution, turned into a tradition that didn't need to be kept. Yet no one questioned it.
It's like last names, I get it was a tradition and reasons hundred years ago, but why can't they change?
And when people want to change them they get balked at. Because its not the "norm".

If you are one of those girls that will gladly accept your new husbands name, good for you! I wish I was you!
I however have a hard time just abandoning who I am, and who I have been for 27 years. I am an educated, working, independent woman. I have made a name for myself in the work place. Why am I just going to be submissive and take something without questioning it??

Don't get me wrong. I love traditions and family honor! One of my favorite traditions is going to Glenda's for Christmas eve, even if it does include the damn fruitcake!!
But if you're not sure why a tradition started, ask about it. Get an answer. And if its not the great hurrah answer you wanted or was looking for change it!
Same for anything else in life. We don't have to just mindlessly follow what EVERYONE else has done. Make a change, make a stand for yourself!

There has been  A LOT of research and a lot of discussions on this front.
I am my dad's only daughter, the last name Farrell. I also want my husband and I to have the same last name, I don't want to hyphenate mine and he not.
The options:
hyphenate
he changes his
combine the 2
come up with another one (perhaps another family name that had been lost)

The decision. We have both hyphenated. OUR kid's will have hyphenated last names.

No comments:

Post a Comment